Eddie Cibrian’s dimples flash even when his Take Two character, a grumpy and defeated private investigator, is exasperated with costar Rachel Bilson’s ditsy Sam Swift.
Off-camera, though, Cibrian is quite an optimist. He shares that this latest summer series feels as if it could last for seasons. Then again, when he was on the doomed The Playboy Club, he also thought that had legs. Cibrian, 45, has reason to be hopeful now. Take Two, from the creator of Castle (which ran for eight seasons), has the same playful vibe, and he’s hoping for that sort of run from the procedural.
Cibrian has worked steadily in the business since playing an unnamed janitor on Saved by the Bell: The College Years. While there have been tons of guest spots — Dirty Sexy Money and Beverly Hills, 90210 — there have also been long gigs on successful series Third Watch, CSI: Miami and Rosewood.
Shooting the lighthearted procedural in Vancouver, Cibrian was already looking forward to flying home to California on the weekend to see his wife, LeAnn Rimes, and his sons, ages 15 and 11, whom he had with former wife Brandi Glanville. During the week, though, it was all about the show as he responds to our “7 Questions” after a 12-hour day on the set.
- What were a few of your first jobs before you got into acting? I used to load UPS trucks late at night. I also used to do security for Nordstrom.
- What movies can you watch repeatedly and never tire of? The Color of Money, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Goodfellas.
- What are three items you must have in your refrigerator or pantry? Perfect Bars, the peanut butter ones. Once you have one, you can’t stop eating them. Then almond butter and Honey Bunches of Oats cereal.
- Tell us about a time you were starstruck. I met Michael Jordan and played golf with him in a charity golf tournament back in the day, and it was pretty amazing.
- If you could invite a handful of people to a dinner party, living or dead, who would they be? Martin Luther King Jr., Abraham Lincoln, Michael Jordan and Jesus, and see where we end up.
- What was your biggest splurge? I was doing a film in Texas, and it was with Chuck Norris [Logan’s War: Bound by Honor]. I had always wanted a 1960-ish Corvette. I was out there and searching and found a 1960 Corvette, fuel-injected and original. I spent half of my check on it and had it delivered to L.A. It was way more than I should have spent. It is a car I have to this day. Now it has doubled in price. It’s black, with silver coves and a red interior. It probably sits in the garage most of the time now. I try to take it out once a month when I am back home.
- What would surprise people about you? That I have a motor home that I could live in if I had to. I love camping and could be on the road for the rest of my life.
Take Two airs Thursdays on ABC