Imagine my delight when the new, live action Jem and the Holograms trailer came out late yesterday. But then imagine my dismay when I actually watched said trailer. Below are some of the things I feel the new Jem movie is missing. I’m sure the network executives are listening.
- Where are The Misfits? Where is the girl group drama? Is this just Jerrica vs the big bad record company instead of Jem & the Holograms vs The Misfits.
- Where is Rico being torn not knowing if he loves Jerrica or Jem more. He knows they’re the same person – what fun is that?
- Synergy? Is that just her catchphrase? Does she not have a supercomputer that transforms her into Jem? Without Synergy, calling the band THE HOLOGRAMS doesn’t make as much sense.
- Why is Jem a teen? Wasn’t she a grown-up working at the record company? Yes, yes she was.
- Camp. Why is there no camp? The cartoon had unicorns, super 80s styling & people named things like Riot, Pizazz and Rio? Where is the camp?
Terrible. Truly Truly Terrible.