Let’s Be Cops: Did You Know … ?
Here’s some fun trivia about Let’s Be Cops, starring Jake Johnson, Damon Wayans Jr. and Rob Riggle. In the film, when Ryan (Johnson) and Justin (Wayans) make the decision to dress up as cops for a costume party, they take it to another level. As people start to mistake them for genuine cops, things get real, and they find themselves in the middle of an actual case.
• Director and cowriter for Let’s Be Cops Luke Greenfield got the idea for the film when a costume designer gave him an authentic Los Angeles Police Department uniform to wear one Halloween and he found himself enjoying the attention he received and self-confidence he felt while wearing the outfit. Apparently, he enjoyed the experience so much that he continued to disguise himself as a cop at various times, and, as he told Variety magazine, was caught impersonating a police officer on more than one occasion. He learned his lesson though, and says he wouldn’t do it again, having built good relationships with police and detectives.
• Several of the cast members for Let’s Be Cops, including Jake Johnson, Damon Wayans Jr., Jonathan Lajoie, Rob Riggle and Keegan-Michael Key are standup comedians. As a result, much of their dialogue in the film was improvised.
• Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr. are also both on the show New Girl.
• It’s clear from the film that the cast members are not actual cops. Throughout the film, many of the “police officers” hold their weapons with their finger on the trigger — a mistake no real cop would make.
• Also, a Heckler & Koch G36 assault rifle is seen in the stash of gear supposedly stolen from the LAPD armory. In the United States, only the Baltimore Police Department and the US Capitol Police use these weapons; the LAPD would not have had one.
Let’s Be Cops is available starting Nov. 25 on Video On Demand. Check your cable system for availability.
™ and © 2014 Twentieth Century Fox Films Corporation. Credit Frank Masi, SMPSP