ABC’s hit The Goldbergs is back, and moves to Wednesday nights beginning Sept. 24 at 8:30pm ET/PT. In the Season 2 premiere, “Love is a Mix Tape,” Adam (Sean Giambrone) makes a heartfelt mix tape for Dana (Natalie Alyn Lind), but it falls into the wrong hands. Meanwhile, Barry (Troy Gentile) gets a fake ID. But discretion has never been Big Tasty’s strong suit, and showing it off to everyone at school ends up costing him. (Fittingly, the series premiere dealt with Barry getting his drivers license.) David Spade guest-stars as Gus, an unscrupulous employee at FotoFun.
The role of Barry has been a breakout for Gentile, who has turned Barry’s Big Tasty old-school rapper persona into something of a cult hero. We caught up with Gentile over the summer at ABC’s Television Critics Association party in Los Angeles and subjected him to our 7 Questions:
1) What’s been your strangest or best fan encounter?
A good one was I made really good friends with someone on a cruise ship I was on. He and his wife recognized me from the show, and we just became really good friends through that. I still talk to him today and everything.
2) Tell us about a time when you were starstruck.
I was starstruck last year at the TCAs when I met Mark Cuban.
3) If your TV carried just three shows or networks, what would they be?
Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Sopranos and Entourage. Love HBO.
4) You’re at a magazine rack and can only pick three titles. Which ones do you choose?
Sports Illustrated, Newsweek and I’d throw in a Variety.
5) What are three things you have to have in your fridge or pantry?
Gatorade, string cheese and apple juice.
6) What’s a movie you can watch over and over again?
Goodfellas. Love Goodfellas. And I could watch The Wolf of Wall Street over and over again. I love Scorsese films.
7) What’s your favorite sports team?
The Los Angeles Lakers.
— Troy Gentile (@RealTroyGentile) July 1, 2014
Photo: Credit: Michael Desmond/ABC