Countdown to the Oscars: Oscar Trivia! The Academy Awards have been around for 86 years, plenty of time to develop all sorts of weird facts and historical precedents. Take our PopQuiz to see how your knowledge stacks up. Check back each day through March 2 for a new Oscar question and answer. And remember, NO CHEATING!!!
Check back each day through Oscar Sunday, March 2, as a new question and answer are revealed.
Oscars Trivia Questions
1. Sequels rarely get much recognition when it comes to the Oscars, but there was one Part 3 that not only won the biggest prize, it went an incredible 11-for-11 in its nominations. Name the film.
2. Citizen Kane is widely regarded as the best film ever made, but it did not win Best Picture in 1942. Which film beat it out?
A) How Green Was My Valley
B) The Maltese Falcon
C) Sergeant York
D) The Philadelphia Story
3. True or False: Richard Burton never won an Academy Award.
4. Meryl Streep has been nominated for 18 Academy Awards but has “only” won three times. Name the three films. (Hint: Not She-Devil)
5. Name two actors who were awarded their Academy Awards posthumously.
6. What was the first color film to win Best Picture?
A) An American in Paris
B) The Wizard of Oz
C) Gone With the Wind
D) The Greatest Show on Earth
7. Al Pacino finally won an Academy Award in 1993 for his role in Scent of a Woman, but he was actually up for two Oscars that year. Name the other film that earned him a nomination.
8. It has happened twice in Academy Awards history that two people were nominated for playing the same role in the same film. One actress has been involved in both instances. Name her.
9. Who holds the record for most nominations for Best Director?
10. Which Best Picture winner only received one nomination?
A) The Last Emperor
B) Grand Hotel
D) The Broadway Melody
1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2. A) How Green Was My Valley
4. Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie’s Choice, The Iron Lady
5. Peter Finch, Heath Ledger
6. C) Gone With the Wind
7. Glengarry Glen Ross
8. Kate Winslet, in Titanic and Iris
9. William Wyler (12)
10. B) Grand Hotel
How Did YOU score?
8-10 — I’d like to thank the Academy …
5-7 — It’s an honor just to be nominated …
1-4 — Cut his mic!