Syfy’s Alphas returns for its second season July 23 at 10pm ET/PT, coming off of its hit first season last summer, when it averaged 3.3 million total viewers. The series follows a clandestine group of ordinary people with superhuman mental and physical abilities. Led by neurologist and psychiatrist Dr. Lee Rosen (David Strathairn), the team takes on cases the CIA, FBI and Pentagon are unwilling or unable to solve, going head-to-head with many of the criminal Alphas hiding among the normal population. The rest of the cast includes returning stars Malik Yoba, Warren Christie, Azita Ghanizada, Ryan Cartwright and Laura Mennell. Joining the cast this season is Erin Way as Kat, a mysterious young loner whose Alpha ability equips her with perfect muscle memory. But while her skills are permanent, her personal memories are short-lived.
The new season picks up eight months after the Season 1 finale, with the stage set for an explosive turn of events at the Binghamton facility (the Guantanamo of the Alpha world) that could have devastating and far-reaching consequences. Rosen, having exposed the existence of Alphas to the public, finds himself discredited and imprisoned by a government desperate to cover up his revelation. Some of the team have disbanded, and without Dr. Rosen’s care and guidance, have regressed to their old, destructive ways. They must now battle their individual demons, reunite and try to save their own.
Season 2 will feature a number of new and returning guest stars, including:
* Sean Astin plays Roland, an Alpha who has a bizarrely adaptive brain that allows him to assume the memories of anyone close to him and then replay them like a tape recorder.
* C. Thomas Howell stars as Eli Aquino, an intense Alpha with super-speed who is bent on revenge.
* Lauren Holly guest-stars as Sen. Charlotte Burton, a government official with mysterious ties to a member of the Alphas team.
* Summer Glau (pictured above) will reprise her fan-favorite Season 1 role as Skylar Adams, an Alpha who possesses a 200+ IQ and is an electronics mastermind, in three episodes.
* Steve Byers plays John Bennett, a new member of the tactical team from the U.S. Department of Defense assigned to the Alphas team.
* Kandyse McClure guest-stars as Agnes, an attractive but distant Alpha with the ability to see into people’s minds merely by touching them.
* John Pyper-Ferguson reprises his recurring role of Stanton Parish, the “Perfect Alpha.”
* Kathleen Munroe returns as Dr. Rosen’s daughter, Dani, an empath Alpha who can transfer emotions from herself to others and is secretly a follower of Stanton Parish.
* Mahershala Ali reprises his role as Nathan Clay, the head of a tactical unit within the U.S. Department of Defense tasked with dealing with rogue Alphas.
* Noah Reid portrays Adam Gordon, a young man grief-stricken by the death of his young sister, Maggie. However, he becomes convinced she is alive and in need of his help.
Credit: Ken Woroner/Syfy