Talking with Ron Shirley is, to borrow one of his phrases (a.k.a. “Ronisms”), more fun than a possum in a persimmon tree. The burly Southerner is back for another season of truTV’s Lizard Lick Towing, which the network bills as an “actuality” series about the goings-on at a repossession business in rural North Carolina. The series returns for a brand new season at 10pm June 11.
1. You’re at a magazine rack and can only pick three titles. Which ones do you choose?
MAD Magazine, Field & Stream and People.
2. Aside from Lizard Lick Towing, of course, if your TV only carried three shows, which three would you have to have?
Hardcore Pawn, Swamp People and college football on Saturday.
3. What’s been your strangest fan encounter to date?
I met this husband and wife who believed they were vampires. They had their teeth filed and they had really pale skin, and the girl asked if she could bite me. I was standing there about as confused as Mike Tyson at a spelling bee. I didn’t let them bite me, but that’s probably the strangest encounter I’ve ever had.
4. When’s the last time you were starstruck?
You know, Bo, I don’t really get starstruck, because I don’t believe being on TV or the radio makes you no more [important] than being born in the mud makes you a pig. I believe we’re all the same, but I tell you what, when I knew things were really changing, Colt Ford called my house and left me a message. And Jason Aldean told me he wanted me to take him on a repossession. I weren’t like a banana no more, I wasn’t just hanging with the bunch. That was the two coolest things that have happened to me since this show started.
5. What are three things you have to have in your fridge or pantry?
Milk, Coca-Cola and [pain reliever] BC Powder.
6. When did you start calling everyone “Bo”?
I’ve always done that. When I was younger I called everyone “mug” or “cuz,” but everyone says “mug” or “cuz.” I was a Dukes of Hazzard fan. You know, “Come on, Bo!” So I just started calling everyone Bo.
7. Does the constant speculation of how real Lizard Lick Towing is (or isn’t) ever bother you?
It really doesn’t, Bo, because we’re a real company and we’re real people. That’s why we’ve had the success we’ve had, because we’re the realest reality show on TV. Bar none. I’ll put us up against anybody. When you see blood on our show, that’s our blood. We’re not faking those things — you can check with our doctors. We’re not actors, we don’t get paid to act. We don’t have a script.
Photo: Courtesy of truTV