1. If your TV only aired three shows, which three would you want?
Everyday Exotic, Heat Seekers Season 1 and Heat Seekers Season 2. If that’s not fair, then Married With Children, any documentary on drug trafficking, and Hoarders. Or Intervention.
2. You’re at a magazine rack and can only pick three titles. Which ones do you choose?
Vogue Entertaining + Travel, Architectural Digest and National Geographic.
3. When was the last time you were starstruck?
Good question! Maybe when I met Emeril Lagasse at the Cooking Channel launch party. He is the godfather of it all.
4. When was the last time you felt like crying?
5. You’re a professional musician as well as a chef. What’s currently on your iPod?
It’s a mix of Marvin Gaye, Kanye, Norah Jones, K-os, Amy Winehouse … anything by Salaam Remi right now. Common, Justin Nozuka, The Roots, Eminem, Simon & Garfunkel, Adele. The list goes on.
6. To you, what’s the greatest commonality between the creation of good music and good food?
It always begins with love, respect and listening to what is going on around you at all times.
7. Could you train me to get better at eating spicy food?
From my experience, you can build up some tolerance — like, we can do Heat Seekers Training 101: You start out with a little bit of chile [pepper] in some yogurt. Some people train for a 10K; we want you to train for the 10K of heat. You may not get to the Heat Seekers level of professionalism, but you’ll get better at it.
Roger Mooking also hosts Everyday Exotic on Cooking Channel. Join him and Aarón Sanchez as they torch their tongues in a new locale every Monday night on Food Network’s Heat Seekers.