The buzz and excitement continues to build over Apple’s launch of its new iPad tomorrow. Several networks are already touting the apps that they are making available for this latest must-have device.
ABC, Disney & ESPN
* ABC will have an ABC Player app that enables users to watch full episodes of ABC programming on their iPad. The app will also allow iPad users to purchase downloads of episodes from iTunes. The ABC.com site has also been optimized for the iPad, complete with full functionality for all of its features. For more details and a demo of the ABC Player on iPad, visit www.abc.com/ipad.
* Disney Publishing Worldwide has built two original Toy Story read-along apps for the iPad. Each read-along features video from the feature films, karaoke and voice record features, the voices of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, songs from the movies, original games and an interactive coloring feature that lets kids fingerpaint on the screen. The Toy Story app is free, and the Toy Story 2 app is $8.99 and comes with a one-month free subscription to disneydigitalbooks.com. Later this spring, new Disney Princess, Phineas & Ferb, Winnie the Pooh and Toy Story 3 apps will go live.
* Disney Online has built a custom iPad version of its website, disney.com, which focuses on exclusive video content. iPad videos featured a launch include new scenes from the upcoming Disney films The Sorcerer’s Apprentice and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time; full episodes of Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, Suite Life on Deck and Phineas & Ferb; and a new Muppets music video, “Stand By Me.”
* Fairies Fly on iPad — This game has been enhanced with new art just for the iPad.
* JellyCar 2 on iPad — The sequel to one of last year’s top games, JellyCar 2 comes loaded with more than 30 levels, power-ups, new two-player modes — Tether and Race.
* Phineas & Ferb Arcade on iPad — Play with your favorite characters in three simple minigames: Win the surfing trophy in Cowabunga Candance; test your secret agent skills in Agent P’s Hideout; and build a mountain in S’no Problem.
* FamilyFun Craft Finder on iPad — The Disney FamilyFun Craft Finder app provides instant access to FamilyFun’s library of craft ideas for the whole family. The iPad version features more crafts and full-size pictures.
* ESPN Pinball on iPad — A new twist on classic arcade gameplay. This pinball game features minigames, unique basketball sound effects and play-by-play voiceover by SportsCenter host Jay Harris.
* ESPN SportsCenter XL — The original, award-winning SportsCenter for iPhone and iPod has been optimized for the iPad’s interface and enhanced with new, premium features, including live play-by-play, video highlights, game summaries and stats, box scores and standings. Additionally, you can get personalized news and video on myTeams, and leading headlines and daily highlights through Top Events.
* Beavis and Butt-Head App — Features video clips from the original series, mini-games and sound clips. Available for $4.99
* Dora the Explorer Coloring Adventures — A sticker and coloring book app based on the hit Nick series Kids can choose a picture, add stickers, then touch the screen to apply colors. Offers dozens of stickers and several backgrounds from which to choose. $4.99
* Daily Jigsaw — The popular title comes to iPad. You’ll be able to download a new hi-res puzzle each day, featuring photos and fun facts submitted from the Jigsaw community. $0.99
* VH1 Classic Presents: Intellivision for iPad — Old-schoolers should like this port of the classic Intellivision game system from the early ’80s. It features three games from the console — Astrosmash, Night Stalker and Thunder Castle. $2.99
The Weather Channel
The free Weather Channel app for iPad combines the best of TWC on mobile with the best of TWC on television to give you customized weather info. This app seeks to take full advantage of the Multi-Touch iPad display to allow weather seekers to choose the most relevant forecast for them. The app also features future radar imagery in motion on a map.
Other features include:
* Weather forecasts in current, hourly, 15-minute, 36-hour or 10-day increments
* Interactive maps with points of interest, and you can decide to display layers such as radar, clouds, UV index, rainfall, snowfall and more
* Severe weather updates with local and national alerts
* Video center with large library of local, regional, national and international video clips for general and three-day forecasts by TWC meteorologists for multiple, saved locations
* Social media integration with direct access to The Weather Channel Twitter feed and tweets from meteorologists and severe weather experts
ABC iPad photo credit: Peter Belanger/ABC
Weather Channel iPad photo credit: The Weather Channel