It’s estimated that more than 550,000 Americans and 6 million people worldwide will die from cancer this year. An impressive lineup of actors, musicians, athletes and journalists are coming together for what they hope is the beginning of the end of cancer: Stand Up to Cancer, an initiative aimed at raising funds for cancer research and bringing new therapies to patients more quickly. ABC, CBS and NBC will air this program commercial-free in prime time on Sept. 5.
Celebrities confirmed for the broadcast include:
* Musicians: So far, only American Idol winner David Cook (pictured) has been announced, but more names will follow.
* Actors: Casey Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Christina Applegate, Josh Brolin, Dana Delany, Fran Drescher, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Kirsten Dunst, Elle Fanning, Jon Favreau, America Ferrera, Sally Field, Neil Patrick Harris, Salma Hayek, Scarlett Johansson, Masi Oka, Christina Ricci, Meryl Streep, Hilary Swank, Charlize Theron, Goran Visnjic, Forest Whitaker
* Sports stars: Lance Armstrong, Danica Patrick
* News people: Katie Couric, Charles Gibson, Brian Williams, Robin Roberts
* Animated folks: Homer and Marge Simpson
There are also creative projects across a wide array of platforms, including on the web, in an effort to get the word out that significant advances in cancer treatment are within reach.
For more information on the initiative and how you can get involved, visit standup2cancer.org.
Photo: © FOX