1. What has been your strangest fan encounter?
Walton Goggins: Whenever you pass people, you get that stare — that look, and you know that it’s about to come. [A] guy ran up to me in New York and says, “Speak! Speak!” And I said, “Please, get out of my face!” And he said, “Oh, I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry. I’ve only heard you speak in an Italian accent!” He was from Italy and he was a big fan of the show.
2. You’re at a magazine rack and can pick three magazines. What are they?
This is exposing myself … I’m going to go with The New Yorker, Harper’s and Domino magazine. It’s a practical magazine for the do-it-yourself redecorator. I’m a big fan of design. I love it. Where other people are spending their Sundays watching football, I’m actually at antique stores or lighting stores.
3. So no football, but do you have a favorite sports team?
I’m from Atlanta, Ga., so I’ve been a baseball fan ever since Dale Murphy sold Kinnett ice cream. I’m a huge Atlanta Braves fan. [Their season was] not so good, but we’re going to come back!
4. If your TV only carried three shows, which three would you want?
The Shield … and The Shield. I’m biased, but I think it’s a great show outside of my participation in it. The Sopranos, without a doubt. And believe it or not, my guilty pleasure — Survivor. I love it!
5. Would you ever be on a reality show?
I’m a big traveler, and I really enjoy getting on the road, so I think the reality show that I would want to do would be something for National Geographic or something — taking a camera and going to India, you know?
6. When was the last time you were starstruck?
My partners and I won an Academy Award [for the short film The Accountant in 2002], and I was standing in the wings waiting to go in, and I was standing next to Sting. I couldn’t contain my excitement; that was pretty f***ing cool.
7. What’s your favorite condiment?
I’ve got to go with salt, on the rim of a margarita glass. Hands down. Or, you know what comes a close second? Tabasco. I love spicy food.
8. You were once the Dahlonega Gold Rush Days hog-calling champ. Can you tell me how many breeds of hog are bred in the U.S.?
Wow. That’s a tough one, man! I have no idea, but I’m going to say 75. [Actually, it’s eight.] Holy s***! Really? Well, I can call all eight of them!
“Experience guilt in a way that it’s never been done on television” when Goggins returns to FX April 3 as The Shield’s Shane Vendrell.