1. What has been your strangest fan encounter?
This is strange in the surprising category. But I was on a boat, like a ferry, on the Bosporus in Istanbul, and I was sitting on the boat with my legs kind of dangling out and this guy came over and he spoke broken English. He said his son, who didn’t speak any English, recognized me, liked me, and his son was like 11 and they were from Lima, Peru. And I thought, “That is weird, I’m on a boat on the Bosporus, in Istanbul, being recognized by an 11-year-old who doesn’t speak English from Lima, Peru.”
2. You’re at a magazine rack and can pick three magazines. What are they?
If I’m going on a flight, Harper’s, whatever PlayStation Magazine or computer gaming or one of those things, I can leaf through that. And probably The Atlantic Monthly.
3. What’s your favorite sports team?
The Boston Red Sox.
4. When was the last time you were starstruck?
I had dinner with [filmmaker] Werner Herzog, and that was pretty amazing.
5. If your TV only carried three shows, which three would you want?
The Daily Show, The Colbert Report and Wonder Showzen. Wait, cross all of them out. I’d trade them all for Ellen.
6. When is the last time you felt like crying?
When I was coming back from London not too long ago, and I was in coach in the back amongst — and I think I counted, too — it was like 17 Hasidim, and they were phenomenally obnoxious and rude and stinky.
7. What’s your favorite condiment?
8. Can you name the five movies in the “Planet of the Apes” saga?
No. I liked the first one. It was OK. But …
[Sorry, David. We took you for an Apes man. The movies are: Planet of the Apes, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Escape From the Planet of the Apes, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and Battle for the Planet of the Apes.]
Cross is co-creator of and lends his voice to Freak Show, a new animated comedy premiering Oct. 4 on Comedy Central.