Usually when someone is placed in the sort of peril Cary Agos has been in, he’s dangling off the side of a building as his fingers give way from the edge. Matt Czuchry’s character on CBS’ The Good Wife has been having the sort of year that would crush most people. “Cary protected Kalinda (Archie Panjabi) in Season 2, when she was in trouble with the state’s attorney office and now she is protecting him,” Czuchry says. “And, Diane (Christine Baranski) fired Cary in Season 1, and now she is protecting him in Season 6.” As we watch Agos grow thinner, paler, jittery and more resigned to his fate, which looks like it will be a stretch of hard time, Czuchry takes a break from shooting in Manhattan to answer our “5 Questions.”
- You’re at a magazine rack and can only pick three titles. Which ones do you choose? “Interview” — the structure of that magazine really provides for a very intimate look at the artists. “GQ” for the cover interviews with actors I admire and want to aspire to be, and to research new styles of fashion. And “Rolling Stone” for the interviews with musicians and finding out about new albums and artists.
- If your TV carried just three shows or networks, what would they be? ESPN for “SportsCenter,” PBS for Charlie Rose, and Netflix for TV shows and movies.
- What has been your strangest fan encounter? Some women have requested that I sign specific areas of their body that would be inappropriate for me to do so, so I will sign a piece of paper for them.
- Tell us about a time when you were starstruck. I met George Clooney very, very early in my career. I was 22 or 23 and he was so incredibly kind and charismatic and generous and giving of advice and his grounded nature made me more in awe of him. He told me two things I think about all of the time. One was keep focusing every single day — work hard, don’t give up. The other was in terms of furthering that: It is about the work. Work hard and don’t give up toward that goal.
- What are three things you have to have in your fridge or pantry? In terms of wellness, my diet is very high in protein; eggs are a staple for me. If I could choose anything for a snack, I love peanut butter because it reminds me of when I was a kid and after a long hard day at work there is nothing like a giant bowl of ice cream topped off with whipped cream.
The Good Wife returns Sunday, March 1 on CBS.
© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved Credit: Justin Stephens